Headache is the most common pain incidence suffered by Indians. As per a recent study it is the single largest pain incidence (28.1%) by people. So common is the sensation of a throbbing head that almost half of all adults globally will experience at least one headache in any given year1. Headaches can arise in any region of the head, either both sides or just in one area.
Headaches can be classified as primary or secondary based on the underlying causes:
Primary headaches are those in which headache and its associated features is the disorder in itself, whereas secondary headaches are those caused by external factor or disorder (Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society, 2013).
• A secondary headache is caused when another condition activates these areas. Common factors for secondary headaches are brain tumors, blood clots and alcohol-induced hangovers
The most common types of headaches are given below:
• Tension headache: This is the most popular primary headache where a person feels that a tight band is pressing around their head
• Migraine: This is the 2nd most common type of primary headache that causes pulsating pain on either side of the head accompanied by blurry vision, nausea, etc.
Other types include cluster headaches, thunderclap headaches, medication-overuse headache and more.
Some primary headaches can be triggered by lifestyle factors, including:
• Alcohol, particularly red wine
• Changes in sleep or lack of sleep
• Poor posture
• Skipped meals / poor food habits
• Stress due to the fast paced and hectic life
• Weather change
Possible causes of secondary headaches include:
• Certain medical conditions like acute sinusitis, dental pain, ear infection, concussion and many more
Headaches can have a severe impact on the well-being and productivity of a person. This debilitating condition usually impacts the ability of people to focus on the work at hand, reason rationally, perceive the stimuli and performing organized movement (work requiring lot of coordination) . Headache can manifest in different terms for different people like becoming irritable, restless, frustrated, wanting to isolate and relax, avoid people etc. thus affecting the quality of a person’s social and professional life. This can further create a lasting burden on society with consequences to mental health and economy.
A headache can be managed with the following methods:
• Using techniques to handle stress in daily life
• Getting a good night’s sleep
• Exercising on a regular basis
• Maintaining blood sugar levels with timely food intake
• Avoid smoking and consuming moderate alcohol
Combiflam® Plus Tablet can be used for effective relief from headaches. The pain relief is provided by the apt and powerful combination of paracetamol and caffeine. Paracetamol is the primary active which provides the analgesic effect and relives pain, while caffeine helps improve the efficacy of plain paracetamol to make it more effective. This double action thus helps provide quick relief to a person.